Friday, December 11, 2009

Joan Baez: How sweet the sound



That's Not My Age's may own a couple of Bob Dylan albums but I'm not big into folk music. As a teenager growing-up in the seventies, I thought Joe Strummer invented the protest song! So, the BBC's Imagine programme on Joan Baez, 68, this week, was a real eye-opener. As well as the amazing voice and 50 year career, the queen of folk was an anti- Vietnam war campaigner, an ally of Dr Martin Luther King and a lover to Bob Dylan. I guess I'm a little young - and I don't get to say that very often - for all the early sixties stuff, but Joanie (as the Bobster calls Baez) is music royalty. Even Dylan admits, ' She had a very unusual way of playing the guitar, I tried to practise it, but couldn't get it down.'

If you missed this fantastic programme, watch it on BBC iPlayer.
Programmes are usually online for a week, so catch it before Tuesday.

Photo from www.joanbaez.com