Saturday, November 21, 2009

Quote of the week: Bill Nighy



A couple of years ago, the brother in Manhattan very kindly treated me and Mr That's Not My Age to tickets to The Vertical Hour on Broadway, starring Bill Nighy, 59, and Julianne Moore, 48. Yes, yes we are too glamorous, I know! Seeing both actors close-up was beyond exciting - and if the play hadn't been so trite, I might have fainted in ecstasy. As you'd expect, Nighy was brilliant, Moore was gorgeous and David Hare was over-rated.

Anyhow, enough of the showing off, my quote of the week is Bill Nighy explaining to The Guardian why he doesn't do Shakespeare:

'The absence of classical work in my repertoire is due to the fact that I can't wear those trousers,' he says. 'It makes me sound very shallow but I've done some really serious plays in a decent lounge suit.'

Funny and stylish, don't you just love him?


Photo: David Levene